Tuesday 12 January 2016

Introduction

This is my blog to document my future adventures on London Transport.

Recently I have become interested in the sub-culture of the "tube challenge". This is based on the pursuit of the record for travelling around all 270 stations of the London Underground in the fastest possible time.

As the official rules state...
All of the stations served by London Underground trains must be visited.
To 'visit' a station, the challenger must arrive and/or depart by an underground train in normal public service, but where a service is shared by underground and British Rail trains travelling over the same tracks it is permissible to use the National Rail trains.
It is necessary for a through train to stop at the station for the visit to count, although the challenger does not need to get out. Certain stations are normally only open at certain times of the day, and this must be taken into account in planning.
The current record, recognised by Guinness World Records is 15 hours, 45 minutes and 38 records set on 21 May 2015 by Andi James and Steve Wilson. Some challengers make multiple attempts - I believe that this is the fifth time holding the world record for Andi and fourth time for Steve.

I'm not sure that I would have the stamina to attempt the whole network, but I might have a go at other lesser challenges (with unofficial records) such as "Zone 1" which only includes the 64 stations in fare zone 1 and "All lines" in which you have to travel between at least two stations on all 11 lines.

I also have a few ideas of my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment